- Gomer Lecture, Wednesday November 16, 4.30pm
Victor Friedman, Andrew W. Mellon Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in the Humanities, Department of Linguistics, will give a talk, titled "On Obscenity: A window into society, history, and grammar." Reception to follow.
- Gomer Lecture, Thursday October 27, 4.30pm
Torsten Reimer, University Librarian and Dean of the University Libraries, will offer the first Robert and Anne Gomer Lecture of the year. The talk is titled "Turning the Inside Out: Does Digital Research change the library paradigm?" Reception to follow.
- Workshop: Teaching with Canvas for Emeriti Faculty, October 4, 2022, 1:00pm - 2:00pm CDT
This one-hour workshop offered by Academic Technology Studios (ATS) will introduce emeriti faculty to the basics of Canvas and how they can use it effectively in their courses. Topics covered will include: Canvas site creation; uploading and organizing materials; communicating with students through Canvas; and more. ATS will also discuss how to set up and run Zoom meetings through Canvas in the event that a faculty member needs to hold his or her class remotely. Finally, ATS will share information about resources and explain how faculty can get help if they have questions in the future.
To register please visit: https://events.uchicago.edu/event/169113-ats-workshop-for-emeriti-faculty
- Monthly ITS Emeriti Tech Bar: Desktop Support Specialist Gordon Dickson will be on hand to answer questions and provide technology support in October and November.
Thursday, October 20, from 1-2pm; or attend virtually through zoom
Thursday, November 17, from 1-2pm; or attend virtually through zoom
- Monthly Office Hours with the Benefits Office: UChicago’s Retiree Benefits Specialists Xaviera Espinoza and Estephany Arroyo will be on hand and look forward to meeting with emeriti and answering questions.
Wednesday, October 12, from 11am-Noon; or on zoom.
Tuesday, November 8, from 11am-Noon; or on zoom.
- Bi-Weekly Academic Technology Solutions (ATS) Emeriti Tech Bar:
ATS staff will be at the Center on alternating Tuesdays from 2:00-3:30pm starting on October 11 to answer any questions you may have about the different technological tools you use in your pedagogy. Office hours are a chance for emeriti faculty to ask any questions they may have about Canvas, Zoom, Panopto, or other tools for teaching with technology. Attend in person or virtually through zoom on 10/11, 10/25, 11/8, 11/22, and 12/6.